Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Q&A with Erin Elizabeth Coors

Elizabeth Coors plays the role of Babette in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and was nice enough to be this week’s Q&A participant! You can read Erin’s entry below.

Name: Erin Elizabeth Coors

Role in Beauty and the Beast: Babette

What city are you currently in? San Francisco

What tour stop has been your favorite so far and why?
Chicago. There was so much to do and the show was really well received. It was also our first two-week sit down so we had our first golden day!

Which upcoming tour city are you most looking forward to visiting? HAWAII!!!

What music are you currently listening to?
I've been listening to a lot of “beachy” stuff... Jack Johnson, Gavin DeGraw, Eric Hutchinson.

Name one item you can't live without while on the road:
My computer. It keeps me connected to my friends and family and allows me to know what’s happening in the biz in NYC.

What do you like to do when you're traveling between tour stops?
I like to read, listen to music and watch TV shows on my computer. I was heavy into Dexter at the beginning of the tour and have now moved on to Sex and the City and Weeds.

What is your favorite song/scene in Beauty and the Beast?
"Human Again." The energy onstage between all the actors is really intense and that always radiates out to the audience. Everyone expects "Be Our Guest" to be a show stopper, but "Human Again" catches you by surprise and really gets to the heart of the story.

Any memorable tour moments (on or offstage) you can share?
Soooo many! Just last night Lumiere's candle sticks got caught in my costume and we were stuck together during a musical number. Merritt, the actor who plays Lumiere, and I have worked together a lot so we were lucky that we know each other well enough that we could cover and the audience never even knew!


Name one reason why people should see Beauty and the Beast.
It's really a beautiful show. There are amazing costumes, the set is gorgeous and the dancing and singing are also wonderful! There is truly something for everyone. It's an incredible experience to be part of something that reaches children and adults at the same time.

What made you decide to do theatre?
I always loved singing and dancing, but had TERRIBLE stage fright (I still kind of do). I had some wonderful teachers and mentors along the way that gave me the confidence to at least try out for college programs. I auditioned thinking "if it's meant to be, it's meant to be." I've been very lucky in this business so far, but above all it's been the support of my parents that have really fueled me. Without them I'm not sure I'd be where I am today.

You've played Barbie and now Babette. What's the ugliest role you've ever had to play?
Last time I did Beauty and the Beast I played the Hag/Enchantress! (I was also a Napkin.) I absolutely loved the show and really was interested in the role of Babette, so I was really excited in auditions when I was given the opportunity to read for Babette.

How did you prepare for your audition?
I was really nervous auditioning for such an incredible creative team. I spent a lot of time with vocal coaches finding a great song, "Speaking French” from Lucky Stiff. I thought it was a brilliant selection. Until I heard another girl right before me sing it for the role of Babette as well! But that's how the business goes. So I just tried to really stay in the moment and listen to the creative teams' direction and take their notes. They knew what they wanted. I just tried to tap into that.

Don't miss Erin Elizabeth Coors' Babette as NETworks presents Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

For tour dates, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment